Monday 25 March 2013

♥♥ A True Love Story By: Karen Maag


A True Love Story

Have you ever done something without understanding, but out of obedience?
I did, it was the Saturday after Thanksgiving 1973. If you knew me back then you’d know I wasn’t one of the ‘popular’ kids in school. In fact, most of my classmates didn’t know my name. Very few took the time to get to know why I was quiet, insecure, and shy.

On that particular Saturday, I received an invitation to a party. It was from a young man who graduated earlier in the year, the high school quarterback. He wasn’t a friend though I knew who he was. I questioned why he invited me to a gathering at his home when he was accustomed to being with only the popular girls. Don’t get me wrong, I was seventeen and delighted to receive attention from this boy until … I accepted his invitation and he tried what eighteen year old boys’ try.

It wasn’t until after he picked me up and we arrived at his house did I find out we were alone, his parents were out of town for the holiday. I became nervous and wondered why I had a strong feeling I was still supposed to be there. I couldn’t figure out why God would allow me to be in such an uncomfortable situation. Relief came soon when his friends started to arrive. Since I wouldn’t submit to his ‘attention’ he then focused on his friends and ignored me the rest of the evening. Nice guy, huh?

Then it happened, my reason for being there. The front door opened and in walked the man of my dreams. Do you believe in love at first sight? I didn’t until this tall, dark haired guy dressed in ratty jeans with the silliest denim hat I’d ever seen walked through the door. I asked who he was, no one knew. I replied, “I’d better find out because I’m going to marry him someday.” This was a pretty bold statement for a shy teenager. We began talking, he took me home that evening, and the rest as they say is history.

Isaiah 30:21(NIV) tells us your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, ‘This is the way, walk in it …’ though I was young; I was obedient to the Lord and walked in the way he instructed. If I hadn’t, I wouldn’t soon be celebrating number thirty-six wedding anniversary with my life mate, the father of our two children and grandfather to four precious grand babies.

My friend, this is testimony to listening to our Father God when He speaks to us. We were destined to be husband and wife. After we dated for awhile, I discovered my mother lived in the home in which he grew up. I remember her driving my grandma and I by his house when I was young and children playing in the yard. Who would know that I’d grow up to marry one of those kids … God did.
We went to the same high school; I dated some of his friends, but never met him. Who would know we’d meet at a party after he graduated and moved out of town … God did.

His parents were friends with the beautiful people that were my foster parents. Because of that friendship, I was able to re-connect with their family. Who else would know about that relationship … God did.

I tell you to trust, not a little bit but with your whole heart. Proverbs 3:5(NIV) says to trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight.

I thank my Heavenly Father daily for the path He has lead me to walk. Though I don’t always understand where I’m going and ask why, I trust Him and understand He loves me. He’s using me as an earthly vessel for what is good and righteous in His name.

That Saturday night way back when I didn’t understand, but I had faith and trust which led me on a path to joy and happiness.

I encourage you today; take some time to reflect on your obedience to your Lord God Almighty.

By: Karen Maag

0 comments:

Post a Comment